IT and CIO at the tipping point for transformation, with new mindset to create value center, than cost center, move from back office to front brainyard, and with the latest technology such as cloud, mobile, social and Big Data as silver lining, CIO need learn how to articulate IT's value to the Chairman of the Board in 25 or less simple words.
Though there is no one answer that suits all, IT’s elevator speech is a reflection of the personality and value proposition of the sector and business, need always be tailored to the language and interests of the audience. But collective wisdoms can be shared:
1. IT need be built to change in order for organization built to last and from good to great.
2. IT is the innovation engine of any business in digital era, to equip people with the latest technology & information, help business make the right decision at every level, to capture insight & foresight for the future of organization.
3. IT role is to enable the business to exceed customer expectations, increase profitability and maintain a competitive advantage. IT should provide innovative solutions to meet business needs.
4. IT is there to provide whatever technology services the business needs to service its customers. IT is only ever going to be strategic to business direction if the CIO has a board role.
5. IT supports all the other business functions, to get the right information to the right people at the right time, so they can make the right decisions.
6. IT manage the technical plumbing and improve efficiencies for the business internally and enable the business to drive revenue and provide innovation externally.
7. A new emerging theme is the split of strategy and service delivery. Traditional IT is good at service delivery (whatever the sourcing model). What companies really need though is the strategic role to be strengthen and separated from the nuts-and-bolts work. Weather this has the CIO as de facto chief process officer, chief innovation officer, or some other mix - this is where value is generated
8. IT and the business are intertwined but must be on the same page. IT enables the business to operate effectively and successfully and enables it to grow, change and adapt to future needs. IT is driven by the business , but a great IT department also has the vision to be a driver for the business.
9. IT supports and enables business operations through the efficient and effective usage of technology; IT simplifies & automates today's operations, and envisions & enables tomorrow's aspirations.
10. IT provides progressive technology solution, from business enabler to business transformer, help shape up the high-performance organization at today's hyper-competitive environment
Bonus Offer: CIO’s Elevator Pitch:
The essential of CIO role is more about the magic "I": transforming from infrastructure manager into integration/innovation/influence/intrepreneur/intelligence/improvement officer, be business strategist and technology visionary at the same time, situational driven and value-added, lead by influence.