Yes, at a certain point, you have to let go of note taking (order taking?) and simply absorb and internalize what's being said. At that level, probably the best thing to have on the table is nothing. Listening sometimes requires ridding yourself of all the digital distractions.
Hi Christian, I think we are in complete agreement on the roles of boards except the idea of the a CIO on the board. I think forward looking companies will embrace the idea, depending on the individual.
I was struck by SAIC CIO Charles Beard's candor on the interaction between CEO and CIO.
"In a digital economy, you owe it to yourself to get to know your CIO...they can take you to new places or they can prevent you from going to the places you really want your business to go." He said this sitting next to his CEO!
I did a post yesterday, arguing that the government is going to lead the way with the cloud given some the public cloud offerings specializing in US government agencies. They are promising many of the required government certifications for handling senstive data.
I agree although have used laptops to take notes in meeting. But in hindsight, taking hand notes is less obstrusive. What about a tablet, which, incidentally, is terrible for taking notes?
In the larger world, smart phones, tablets or any digital device is a distraction when in the presence of company. And sorta rude...I am guilty of constantly checking my smart phone for e-mail, headlines and social media posts. That said, it's hard to imagine direct reports checking e-mail while the CEO or another C suite member is speaking. Bad form.
March, 2016: Remember the silly debate about the private and public cloud? Neither could be trusted. Enterprises and governments were slow to embrace them.
It seems unimaginable now, according to a new IDC survey, which says 98% of all large enterprises (more than 500 employees) have moved 75% of their apps to the public cloud. It's just a matter of time before the remaining 25% make the ascent. The survey added that private clouds are now indistinguishable from public clouds..
The amount of data being used and created in business today is prolific creating big challenges for business of all sizes. This challenge is compounded in environments where both paper-based and electronic workflows are prevalent.
Every day employees print, fax, copy, scan and email critical and sensitive information. Most employees simply hit print without thinking twice, but without the proper precautions, the documents sent to the printer are at risk, compromising security and compliance in a variety of ways.
Every year, companies lose millions of dollars due to print security lapses, as they leave themselves open to private and corporate lawsuits, government fines and stolen competitive information.
Last month Michelle McNickle wrote an article for Healthcare IT News titled, “10 of the largest data breaches in 2012 … so far”. Numerous headlines have showcased some large health data breaches, and according to recent research, the problem is only growing. While the focus of her article is on data breaches in the health care industry, I think that the lessons are relevant to all organizations.
The EPA teslls us that cash-strapped state and local governments spend more than $10 billion every year on energy to provide services and meet constituent needs. Add to that the costs to purchase, use and dispose of IT equipment, along with purchasing paper and printing supplies. And add to that the fact that government often doesn’t take advantage of trade-in and IT recycling programs, and you are left with staggering costs.